Making the Most of Driving in Your Car

Making the Most of Driving in Your Car

A Complete Guide On Truck Licences In Australia

Greg Sutton

A truck licence is a mandatory requirement for people that wish to become truck drivers in Australia. Below is an excerpt discussing the various classes of truck licences in the country and the eligibility criteria for each licence class. Hopefully, it will help you make an informed decision as you apply for your truck licence. 

LR (Light Rigid) Truck Licence

It is an entry-level licence for aspiring truck drivers. The licence permits you to operate trucks with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of up to eight tonnes and buses with a seating capacity of more than 12 passengers. Applicants must have held a class C licence for more than one year, pass the LR, eyesight and Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) tests. 

MR (Medium Rigid) Truck Licence

It allows you to drive trucks and buses with a GVM of more than eight tonnes with a maximum of two axles. Similar to the LR licence, your driver's licence should be more than one year old. You need to pass the MR, eyesight and HVCBA tests.

HR (Heavy Rigid) Truck Licence

The HR licence enables you to drive trucks and buses with a GVM of more than eight tonnes and more than two axles. You can also drive articulated buses and tow trailers with a GVM of fewer than nine tonnes. Applicants should pass the HR, eyesight and HVCBA tests. Besides, their driving licence should be more than two years old. 

HC (Heavy Articulated) Truck Licence

It permits you to drive semi-trailers, low-loaders and other articulated vehicles with a minimum of three axles. You can also tow trailers with a minimum GVM of nine tonnes. Applicants should have held their MR or HR licences for more than one year. Besides, they must pass the eyesight, HC and HVCBA tests. 

MC (Multi Combination) Truck Licence

It is the highest truck licence class that you can hold in Australia. With the licence, you can drive road trains, B-doubles and prime movers. To apply for the licence, you will need to have held an HC or HR licence for at least one year. You also need to pass a medical examination, eyesight, MC and HVCBA tests. 

Heavy vehicle driving courses are available in accredited Registered Training Organisations (RTO). Applicants have the freedom to choose their trainer and the vehicle that they wish to be trained in. It would therefore be wise to conduct some due diligence to identify the best trainers in your locality. 


2023© Making the Most of Driving in Your Car
About Me
Making the Most of Driving in Your Car

If you are interested in finding out how you can get the most out of your car, you have come to the right place. My name is Peter Gunn and I live in Sydney, Australia. If there is one thing I love to do, it is to spend the weekend playing around with my car. I am not a trained auto mechanic but I do have a good understanding of everything which is required in order to keep a car running, to repair its bodywork and to modify the interior so you can experience superior comfort. I have learnt all of this information from visiting auto garages and reading repair and modification manuals.